Sunday, January 9, 2011

Memory

Anyone else feel like they can paraphrase a large portion of the Bible, but they only know a few little sentence fragments verbatim?  In elementary and middle school I was the memory verse queen, always memorizing my Sunday School verse of the week and even memorizing the ones for weeks I'd missed to make sure I got one for every week all year.  Now, I can give you a an idea per my own personal paraphrase of the main part of it, but forget the reference, I'm doomed on those! 

So, along with some of the ladies in my Sunday School class now, I'm going to try to commit to a challenge placed by Beth Moore on her blog.  It's called the "Siesta" Challenge, meanings, "Siesta" is her nickname for "sisters", and basically, it's a challenge to partner together with other women and try to memorize 24 verses a year.  If I'd known sooner, I'd be joining the official group on her blog, but since I didn't find out until this weekend, I'll be posting my verses here instead of on her blog, that and sharing them with my class. 

The plan is to post a different verse every 15 days, on the 1st and the 15th of each month, and then you take the two weeks in between to memorize it and encourage other "sisters" on their verses. Each woman chooses her own verse based on what she thinks God wants HER to learn at that particular time and place, not something someone else picks that may not be as relevant at the moment to her, or something she thinks her husband or children need to learn, that way she has a better chance of truly applying the verse.  Normally you'd go to her blog on the 1st or 15th and post your name, location and verse in the comments section to hold yourself accountable.

I'll be choosing my first verse tomorrow, something I used to know that was important to me when I was younger, since I only have a few days until the 15th, and then I'll choose something this week to start working on on the 15th. 

Because I'm starting late, I'll be posting my verses here.  If anyone else wants to join in and share their verse, feel free to leave me a comment, or a link to your blog if you're posting your verse there, or just start joining in, I'd love to see how many verses I can commit to memory, and encourage you as you try with me.

No comments: