Monday, May 16, 2011

Boston Creme Cake

 Be fore warned, this is probably the least healthy cake I know how to make, but it's so good it still has to be made at least twice a year.

This is one of those, I was in the mood for something, couldn't find a recipe I liked the looks of, so used whatever basics I had around the house and started playing and it worked.  I'm not a scratch cake girl, I seem to have a hard time working with cake flour and getting things to rise properly, so I use a box mix just for the dry ingredients so that they balance correctly, then mix it up differently no matter what kind of cake I'm making, so this was a pretty easy adaptation for me.  Just really rich!

Ingredients-
For Cakes-
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
1 Stick Softened Butter
3 Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream

For Filling-
1 Box French Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar

For Frosting-
1 Can Chocolate Fudge Frosting
2 Tbsp Milk
1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
Cake Instructions
Grease bottoms only of 2 - 9 inch round pans (can use 8", just will be a very tall cake!)
Preheat oven to 350.

Beat together all cake ingredients. Start on a low speed to combine them, then beat on medium-high for 2 minutes to get all the lumps out.  Batter should be a thick, creamy, pudding like consistency.

Pour half the batter into each pan.  Bake 32-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Release cakes from pans immediately and let cool completely on a raised cooling rack.

While cake is baking,
Filling Instructions
Pour Milk and Cream into a chilled mixing bowl. Turn mixer on low, slowly add in Pudding Mix.  Beat on low til well combined.  
Start adding confectioners sugar one tablespoon at a time, increasing your speed with every addition.
Beat until mixture reaches a "set" pudding consistency. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.


Once cakes are cool, move 1 cake to a large plate or tray (cake needs to stay refrigerated, so I pretty much just make it fit on a dinner plate) top with a 1" thick layer of filling, then the other cake.

Place assembled tower in fridge for 10-15 minutes.


While cake is setting, make up frosting.  You can use a stovetop chocolate frosting, but I just use the can as a base to speed things up, plus, I'm not a detail cook, so less room for error.


Frosting Instructions-
Beat 1 can Frosting with electric mixer.  Add milk to thin out, then confectioners sugar to bring back to desired texture. Pour over cake and spread roughly down sides.  Chill at least a half an hour before serving.


Sorry, these are all cell phone pics, need to start remembering to keep a camera downstairs when cooking.
ENJOY!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments: