Monday, February 27, 2012

Menu Monday has returned!



 "Menu Monday" was a part of my weekly routine for about a year and a half on both this blog and my old one, and I have to say, I've missed it!  The button is a bit simple for now, but feel free to grab it and link back if you're doing a menu on your blog as well!

I try to buy only what I need each week as far as fresh foods go.  I keep meats in the freezer at all times, as well most basic non-perishables, so once a month a restock one category, (dry goods, canned/bottled things, baking products, frozen, meat, etc....) and just buy fresh produce and dairy every 3-4 days.  It majorly cuts back on weekly spending, usually I only spend about $40 a week on food, and then once every month about $80 on a stock up trip that lasts a few months.  I'm also a stacking coupon on sales fan, though I'm not extreme to any extent!

I'm a simple, totally informally trained, cook on instinct (color, texture, smell) without a formal recipe cook.  I love looking at recipes, but I'm not a measuerer, so I basically look to see what flavors and ingredients they're suggesting and then wing it.  Plus, I'm cheap and don't buy ingredients if they only go in one dish, so I ad-lib alot of things.  I'll try to provide as many "recipes" as I can, just realize that all measurements are only approximate. :)

So, here goes!

Monday- Homemade Pizza  
      Which my husband will then be able to have as leftovers for lunch for the next two days.

Tuesday- Whole Chicken in the Crockpot, served with Brown Rice and Broccoli
      Literally just as it sounds.  Clean the yucky stuff out of the inside of a whole chicken.  Sprinkle generously with equal amounts salt, pepper and paprika, cover with one can sodium free chicken broth, cook on high 4-6 hours, or low for 8.

Wednesday- Chicken and Rice Stew Served with Yeast Rolls
     Made with the dark meat and some white meat from the leftover chicken, chicken stock, corn, carrots, onion, black pepper and the leftover rice from the night before.  Combine everything but the rice in the crockpot 5-6 hours before serving. Cook on low.  Add 1 Cup Cooked Rice and 1 Cup Water, cook on high for 30-45 minutes.

Thursday- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
      Chop up all remained white meat from Tuesdays chicken, saute in butter, garlic salt and parmesan cheese, set aside.
      Cook 1/2 Pound Fettuccine, drain and set aside.
      Alfredo Sauce-
      1/2 Stick Butter
      1/4 Cup Milk
      1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
      Garlic Salt to taste/smell

Melt Butter in small sauce pan, bring to low boil add garlic salt.  Whisk in milk, simmer on low until it reaches boil.  Remove from heat, beat in cheese with wire whisk.
Combine all ingredients in bowl greased lightly with olive oil.  Serve with fresh bread and a side salad or steamed green veggie.

Friday- Meatloaf, Potatoes and Broccoli

Saturday- Chili (using leftover meatloaf as ground beef)

I'll add the recipes for the meatloaf and chili later this week as I'm running out of time tonight. 

ENJOY!



No comments: