Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Covenant

Why is it that so many marriages fail?

Because too many couples think of marriage as a contract-"you do this, I'll marry you", "you say this I'll love you", "you do this one specific thing in one specific way at a specific time and I'll be happy", "you never tell me this and I'll stay", etc. They think make these lists of perfect conditions they want in life, no matter how reasonable or not, and as soon as those conditions change they leave.

But marriage isn't a "contract", it's a "covenant", made before God, to God and your spouse.

When my husband and I got married we did something people argued against, on top of our unity candle, we took communion in our protestant ceremony, just the two of us.  We lit our unity candle as a dedication of our individual lives to each other.  We took communion as a dedication of our one life together to God.

Not everyone agreed, saying communion is supposed to be a community fellowship event, but we didn't care.  I think if more couples saw marriage that way, the divorce rate would go down.  Even if as humans we fail and break promises to other people, I would hope people would think twice before deliberately breaking a promise made to God.

Just a thought......

No comments: