Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Little Tempation

So I got in a baking mood, specifically a CUPCAKE baking mood the other night!  My husband was asked how a woman can get in a mood like that, and his response was "because she's perfect!"  :) I enjoyed that!

Anyways, my Valentines Cupcakes

(crummy cell phone picture, didn't think to take real ones)

I have to admit, I cheat a little on my cupcakes, I use a box mix for my base because I'm too lazy to measure the dry ingredients that perfectly.  (I'm a make it up as I go along, trust my instincts cook-doesn't work well with cakes!)  But, I do change it up!

Instead of following the directions, here's my version-

Vanilla-
One Box Yellow (or white) cake mix
3 Eggs (or just whites)
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (or heavy cream with 2 tsp Vanilla Extract whipped in)
1 Stick EXTREMELY soft butter

Beat all ingredients together, bake following box directions.

Chocolate-
Substitute Plain Heavy Cream, no vanilla, or add a drop or two almond flavoring for a "hazelnut" effect.

My "Hybrid" Frosting-

1 1/3 sticks softened butter
1/3 stick softened cream cheese
2 1/2-3 Cups Confectioners Sugar
Milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Blend butter and cream cheese.  Gradually blend in confectioners sugar, starting with 1 cup, then adding in half cup increments to 2 1/2 cups, or until you get a thick, almost chalky texture. Beat in Vanilla. Beat in milk 1 Tbsp at a time until you reach desired thickness.  Use additional sugar if it gets too thin.  Frosting should form semi stiff peaks.  Add coloring if desired.

Another option is adding 2 Tbsp Chocolate, White Chocolate, French Vanilla almost any other flavor Pudding mix in place of Vanilla. White Chocolate is fun, or Chocolate makes for a Milk Chocolate almost Buttercream Frosting, without having to melt any chocolate.

I piped my frosting on using a decorators bag and standard Wilton tips, but you can always just spread it if that's easier.

ENJOY!

No comments: